Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't...

I found a Disco around the block. Disco is not what you think. It is a supermarket. It's a little expensive, but I like some of the things they have.

Yesterday I walked past and saw that it was not crowded. Last year when I went to a Disco, the line was so long and moved so slowly. But since it wasn't crowded, I went in and picked up a few things.

When I got to the cashier, she asked me in Spanish, "usted es el consumidor final?" - I didn't understand what that meant, and said, "eh?" with a puzzled look on my face. She responded in Spanish, "if you don't know what the question means, it doesn't apply to you". I breathed a sigh of relief, but wanted to learn, so I asked her what that meant. She explained that if I was buying products to sell again in a little store or something, they would not charge me tax, but if I was buying products for myself I had to pay tax.

When I left, I was very satisfied with the exchange. I thought it was good that I was able to hear what she said, and the fact that I didn't understand wasn't about the language but it was a cultural thing. I also thought it was good that I was able to ask her what it meant, and that she was so kind in explaining.

Today I went out to get some empanadas, but the empanada place across the street was closed, so I went back to the Disco to see what I could find.

I picked up a few items, including three empanadas and went to find a place to check out. I saw the express lanes didn't have many people and went and stood in line. I didn't see that there were three cashiers and one of them was available. She called to me and I went to her register.

As I approached, I thought she was going to ask me if I was the "consumidor final". Instead, she said, "effectivo?" It kind of caught me off guard - not what I was expecting. I hesitated, and then she said in English, "cash?". I knew what effectivo meant, and wondered why she automatically assumed I didn't speak Spanish.

She rang up my items and the total was 105.93 pesos. I gave her 110 pesos and then pulled out the change in my pocket thinking I could find the 3 centavos so that I wouldn't end up with a lot of change. I had a few 25 centavo coins, and some 10 centavo coins, but no 1 centavo coins (I don't think they even exist). I said in Spanish, "I don't have 3 centavos". As I was about to put the change away, she grabbed three 25 centavo coins and two 10 centavo coins (total 95 centavos). She seemed a little frustrated with me, but I just laughed. I was confused by the money, especially all of these different coins.

She then finished bagging and gave me my receipt with a bunch of coupons and mumbled something to me that I did not understand. She pointed down to the floor. I thought she was pointing to the wad of papers she just gave me and held out my hand. She said no and sighed, and pointed down again. I picked up my basket, thinking that was what she wanted (but not knowing why). She sighed again and came around to the front of her register and showed me that my other bags were in a hole in front of her station. I didn't see her put them there. Again I laughed, but she just rolled her eyes and made me feel like I was really stupid.

Ok, so two days, two different cashiers, two different experiences. Now I know that when I go to the express lane, my bags will end up down at my knees and I have to bend down and pick them up.

This is all a learning experience and these little mistakes have nothing to do with me or my ability to speak Spanish. So far, most of the confusion has been about the fact that they do things differerently here than they do at home. Sometimes I understand, and sometimes I don't.

No comments: