Tuesday, August 26, 2008

A New Challenge

Yesterday I had my first tango class. Argentine tango is a beautiful dance. Here is a clip from a movie called "The Tango Lesson". It features one of my favorite tango songs called "Libertango" by one of the most famous tango composers, Astor Piazolla. One of the musicians is Yo Yo Ma. It is a beautiful song, a beautiful clip and I hope you can see how beautiful tango is.



Unfortunately, my tango lesson yesterday was not as beautiful nor as romantic as that. It was a horrible experience. The class was too difficult for me and I was super nervous. It was not like a language class where I could sit in the back and hope the teacher wouldn't see me, I actually had to dance with people, and as a leader, I was supposed to be in control. I had to lead my partner around the dance floor, communicate to her with my body and make sure I didn't bump into the other students.

Finally after about 75 minutes of torture, I left the class. I asked if they could recommend some other classes that were easier, and I am going back to try a different teacher today.

There are some important lessons here for me both as a teacher and as a student. I was a new student in the class, and I think the other students had all taken the class before. I'm not sure. The teacher never welcomed me to the class. He just told everyone, "dance", and then he said, "change partners". The first time he spoke to me, he asked me if I spoke Spanish, and then he offered me some correction. After that, he ignored me and helped the better dancers in the class. It was obvious that I was struggling, but neither the teacher or his assistant came over and tried to help me out.

I understand now how important it is to help a student feel welcome in the class. Sometimes I have students who come to my class after the class has been meeting for weeks, or months. All of the students know each other and feel comfortable with each other, and for new students it can be very intimidating. Sometimes I don't want to stop what I am doing to welcome the new student, but I put my students into groups and have them work together and hope that the other students will help the new student feel welcome. It is kind of like my teacher telling us to "dance". The teacher needs to take responsibility for people's comfort, and I need to make sure the new student feels comfortable.

The other thing I learned is that it is not possible to do something that is too far above your level. This class was way too diffcult for me. You can see from the video that tango has some very complicated steps. There are other things that are just as complicated that you can't see, for example how you hold your partner, how you communicate to your partner where you are going, etc.... I am still at the basic level, even though I have been taking tango classes off and on for two years. I might be in a level 2 tango, when yesterday's class was like level 8. I can't jump that high.

As a learner, this is a good lesson for me to find a place where I feel comfortable, but also I am going to learn about persistence. I really want to learn how to dance tango. When I watch tango videos I feel the passion of the dance and I want to be able to do that myself. But the only way to do that is to keep going and not give up. I might find some classes are too difficult. I might find some partners that are difficult to dance with, but this is part of my dream and I don't want to give it up.

Now it's time to get ready for class.

3 comments:

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Diane said...

Hi Rick,

Today is Wednesday and we just read your blog entry "A New Challenge." Then, we talked about it. Silvia said she would like to learn gardening because she changed apartments and has a patio and wants some new plants. Monica says she wants to learn more about the computer. Her daughter won't help her - so she told her go to school. Sam says his group's challenge is reading more in English. They said they like reading your blog because it is a good example of the language. Tas talked about scuba diving and she wants to learn about that. She got her scuba diving license. Now she will take a trip. Robert is challenging himself to quit smoking. Alex wants to learn how to box or fight. Haydee says her challenge is to finish all the levels at school and finish her book.

Alvaro says to enjoy your tango and don't suffer. Teresita says to keep on trying tango.

Eva says yesterday she saw some news about Argentina and tango. She saw the number 1 couple in a contest.

Bye for now. Thanks for writing.

We miss you very much.

Diane's 5:15 class

Rick Kappra said...

Hi Diane and everyone at Alemany/Civic Center. Thank you for checking my blog and leaving comments. I enjoyed reading what you wrote.

I think it is great that you are all studying English and thinking about other things you'd like to do. I'm getting kind of old (hehe) and I think it is a really good thing to keep learning, to keep the brain young and active! They say that it is more difficult to learn as you get older. I don't know if that is really true or not, but I know it is really important to keep learning - that is why I love being a student. I think we are all so lucky to have learning opportunities.

When I come back to San Francisco, I will come and dance tango in your class!

Un beso grande (a big kiss)

Rick