Monday, August 11, 2008

The Only Thing to Fear is Fear

I'm not sure which American president said that ("the only thing to fear is fear itself") or what he was referring to, but when it comes to learning a new language, I think fear is a big thing. It is what keeps me from using the language because I am afraid of making mistakes, afraid of being embarrassed, afraid of looking stupid, etc., but it is when I use the language and make mistakes that I learn something new. What am I so afraid of?

So far I have had different experiences here, some good, some bad, but not terrible, and certainly none of them were in any way dangerous for me - my life was never at risk. I guess what I am saying is if I make a mistake, I will live through it. The best thing to do is to have an attitude that includes the ability to accept the fact that I am not perfect and I WILL make mistakes. Combine that with a strong desire to learn, and a need to use the language, and I think in 5 months I will see the kind of improvement that I want in my ability to speak Spanish.

I am still at a point where I might understand anywhere from 50-90% of an interaction with people. Sometimes I understand less, sometimes nothing. But when I don't understand, often it is because the cultural differences are contributing. Something like asking if I am the final consumer at the supermarket, for example - I understood the question, but I didn't know what it meant.

The past few days I have been sick with the flu and have not been very adventurous. After I am feeling better I am going to try to get back out there and put myself in situations again and again until I feel comfortable. I hope to be able to stop being afraid.

No comments: