Thursday, October 2, 2008

Culture Shock - Finding What You Love

Today it has been 2 months since I came here. I arrived at the end of winter and now it is the beginning of spring. The weather still changes from day to day, sometimes it is warm and sometimes it is cold, but I can tell it is spring. The trees are turning green and birds are chirping everywhere.

In my two months here I have gone through different stages of culture shock. In the beginning I was excited about being here, but it didn't take me long before I was feeling tense and nervous about things. I was afraid to speak Spanish, especially at the supermarket, and every time I went there, I got nervous. I didn't like the pollution or the people smoking on the streets. My culture shock experience began making me sick.

I feel like now I am moving into a new phase. I am not sure what it is, but my health is better and I feel more relaxed about things.

I was looking for something on You Tube and I found a video that I really like. Every time I watch it, it makes me laugh. The more I watch it, the more I laugh. I sent this to some friends and now want to put it on my blog.

The reason I love this video is because for me it describes everything I love about Buenos Aires. It is hard for me to describe Buenos Aires only in words, but this video does a really good job doing it.

This is not a video of all of the famous tourist sites here. Instead it is a confrontation between some people and the police.

The video was shot in San Telmo. San Telmo is one of the oldest parts of Buenos Aires. It used to be where the rich lived, but there was a yellow fever epidemic and the rich people left. Their big homes were taken over by the newly arriving immigrants who often lived in very crowded conditions. Today, San Telmo is a working class neighborhood. It is a little dangerous. Some buildings need repairs. But it has a lot of character.

Every Sunday in San Telmo there is a street fair. There are vendors selling clothes and handicrafts, there is typical food and music, and of course, tango.

This video was part of a documentary about a tango orchestra called Orquesta Tipica. It is a group of musicians who decided to form a tango orchestra. They wanted to set up on the street in San Telmo and play. The police came and told them they could not play.

I love the interaction between the musicians, the people on the street and the police officer. The officer is very respectful as he tries to enforce the law. The people are varied. Some are respectful, but others become very animated. This is Buenos Aires.

Here the peole are very animated. They use their hands when they talk. They use many different gestures and are very passionate. They protest everything. I love watching this video because it reminds me of the things I love about Buenos Aires and why I came here.

I think it is good to remind myself about the things that I enjoy about being here and try not to focus on the things I don't like. It makes me feel better.


3 comments:

Diane said...

Hola Rick,
My name is Leslie, I really enjoy your blog and the videos, there are very interesting, we are learning new worlds, el video esta muy divertido, pues es bien tipico de nosotros los latinos.

Diane said...

HOLA RICK! COMO ESTAS? ESTOY MUY CONTENTA DE PODER ESCRIBIRTE, ESTOY EN LA CLASE CON DIANE, Y ME SIENTO MUY EMOCIONADA, ME ALEGRA SABER QUE YA ESTAS BIEN, PUES ME PREOCUPE CUANDO SUPE DE TU VERTIGO! ESO ES HORRIBLE!! A MI, YA ME PASO ESO. PERO EN FIN QUE BUENO QUE YA TIENES MAS CONFIAZA CON TODO, Y ESPECIALMENTE CON TU ESPAÑOL ESTA MUCHO PERO MUCHO BIEN. FELICIDADES!!PERDON POR NO ESCRIBIERTE ANTES, PERO ESTOY TRABAJANDO Y ESTUDIANDO.Y ESTA FUE MI OPURTUNIDAD DE HACERLO, SABES? SIEMPRE TE RECUERDO CON MUCHO CARIÑO. BUENO YA NOS TENEMOS QUEA IR TE ESCRIBO OTRO DIA CHAU CHAU ADIOS MI QUEERIDO PROFESOR TU ALUMNA Y AMIGA HAYDEE FAYAD (MAMA HYDEEPERDON PORA LOS ERARORES!..


11

Rick Kappra said...

Hi Haydee and Leslie,
Thank you both for commenting on my blog. I wish I could write back to you personally, but I don't have your e-mail addresses. You can always e-mail me if you want.

I think you are so lucky to be in Diane's class. She is such a nice and friendly teacher and I know she always tries to do new things in class. I'm looking forward to seeing you tomorrow when I skype myself into your classroom!

Well, thanks for the comments! Study hard!!!

Rick